This week, the last sitting week of parliament before the election was probably Morrison’s worse (yeah, I know that’s a big call). After many years of bi-partisanship on Foreign Affairs Morrison decides to link the ALP with China! He accused Albo of being China’s preferred PM. He also called Labor’s deputy leader Richard Marles a “Manchurian candidate”.
Naturally Morrison was roundly criticised for this latest outburst, both by citizens and also by the majority of journalists – even his usual supporters. However, when you throw enough mud, some of it sticks (https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-has-sown-seeds-of-a-scare-campaign-but-will-they-grow-20220218-p59xl2.html).
He was even rebuffed by the current and a former chief of ASIO (https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/former-diplomats-spy-chiefs-warn-against-politicising-china-debate-20220216-p59wy6.html).
Let’s have a look at Scotty’s China record (no, not via his new WeChat Account which he just opened, then had stolen from him) – https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/26/scott-morrison-wechat-new-owner-amazed-account-entrusted-to-single-person-in-china)
Five mins after the last election two Chinese warships turned up in Sydney – https://www.thedodgybrothers.com/ni-hao-chinese-warships/
Then there’s the whole Gladys thing – https://www.thedodgybrothers.com/how-good-is-gladys-liu-%e5%bb%96%e5%a9%b5%e5%a8%a5%e6%9c%89%e5%a4%9a%e5%a5%bd/
(PS, she didn’t get much of a mention this week and has been very quiet)
And ASIO calling out the LNP donor as a security risk – https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-04/asio-red-flags-liberal-donor-haha-liu-as-a-security-risk/13018938
And then there’s the Port of Darwin Lease – https://www.thedodgybrothers.com/darwin-port-lease/
And there’s his normal backflips on this and virtually any topic you could mention:
So, who’s really China’s puppet? Crikey have a good article here.
Further Reading on his latest outburst:
Peter Khalil, the member for Wills (https://twitter.com/PeterKhalilMP) gave a terrific speech in Parliament Feb 17th 2022 when he reminded us:
- Labor in government banned Chinese state-owned company Huawei
- Labor in government that did not ratify an extradition treaty with China that was signed by the Howard government.
While the LNP:
- Andrew Robb negotiated the China-Australia Free Trade Agreement then got a job with Chinese-owned Landbridge company.
- Tony Abbott invited President Xi to speak at parliament.
- The member for Chisholm (Gladys Liu) has an astronomical number of publicly reported links to Chinese Communist Party United Front organisations.
- She also has a close relationship with Haha Liu, a Liberal Party donor who attended her inaugural speech and was assessed by ASIO as a national security risk.
- The defence minister when he was home affairs minister met with Huang Xiangmo, a Chinese billionaire who was later barred entry into the country on national security grounds.
Lots more in his speech. Check out the full text in Hansard (start at 16:39) or if you’d prefer the Video you can see that here.Tweet