Another great thread from Bee (@BelindaJones68) on Twitter (30 Sep 2019):
OK, I had a squizz at the 13 councils that @ScottMorrisonMP announced last week would be receiving $1 million in drought assistance. I wanted to see what Federal electorates these councils are in, their MP & if this is just cruel pork-barreling/govt playing politics.
Moyne Council did not apply nor lobby for this funding, they are in @DanTehanWannon‘s electorate of Wannon. Moyne Council called it ‘bad management’ bcuz they’re not in drought. Looks less like ‘bad management’ more like ‘good pork barreling’.
Let’s look at the 13 councils & their electorates/MPs & the party their MP represents:
1. Council: Kyogle- Fed Electorate: Page – MP: Kevin Hogan, National Party.
2. Council: Murray River- Fed Electorate: Farrer – MP: Minister Sussan Ley, Liberal Party
3 Council: Temora – Fed Electorate: Riverina – MP: Deputy PM Michael McCormack, National Party
4. Council: Banana – Fed Electorate: Flynn – MP: Ken O’Dowd, National Party
5. Council: North Burnett – Fed Electorate: Flynn – MP: Ken O’Dowd, National Party
6. Council: Western Downs – Fed Electorate: Maranoa – MP: Minister David Littleproud, National Party
7. Council: Yorke Peninsula – Fed Electorate: Grey- MP: Rowan Ramsey, Liberal Party
8. Council: Gannawarra – Fed Electorate: Mallee – MP: Anne Webster, National Party
9. Council: Moyne – Fed Electorate: Wannon – MP: Minister Dan Tehan, Liberal Party
10. Council: Pyrenees – Fed Electorate: Wannon – MP: Minister Dan Tehan, Liberal Party
11. Council: Strathbogie – Fed Electorate: Indi – MP: Helen Haines, Independent
12. Council: Swan Hill – Fed Electorate: Mallee – MP: Anne Webster, National Party
13. Council: The Coorong – Fed Electorate: Barker – MP: Tony Pasin, Liberal Party
So, 12 out of 13 councils @ScottMorrisonMP gave $1 mill each in drought relief last week are in Liberal/National electorates.
1 electorate is Independent
5/13 are in a Minister’s electorate
3 are seaside electorates
1 council (so far) says they’re not in drought
2 councils in Wannon were given $1 mill each by @ScottMorrisonMP last week for drought relief. Australia-wide NO Labor seat got any $$
Water Minister @D_LittleproudMP has called for an audit.
No councils in the Northern Territory got any funding in last week’s announcement, all seats in NT are Labor seats.
Nor did any Labor electorates in Victoria.